Wart removers are medicines used to eliminate warts, which are small, usually painless growths on the skin caused by a virus. Wart remover poisoning occurs when someone accidentally or intentionally swallows or uses more than the normal or recommended amount of this medication.
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
Clear Away Plantar
DuoPlant for Feet
Maximum Strength Wart-Off
Off-Ezy Wart Remover
Note: This list may not be all-inclusive.
Airways and lungs
Breathing may stop
Eyes, ears, nose, and throat
Loss of vision
Ringing in the ears
Collapse (from swallowing substance)
Convulsions (from swallowing substance)
Fever (from swallowing substance)
Rash (usually an allergic reaction)
Mild burn (in extremely high doses)
Stomach and intestines
Vomiting, possibly with blood
Seek immediate medical help. Do NOT make a person throw up unless told to do so by Poison Control or a health care professional. Flush the eyes with water and remove any solution that remains on the skin.
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
Patient's age, weight, and condition
The name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)
Time it was swallowed
The amount swallowed
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Take the container with you to the hospital, if possible.
The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate. If the substance was swallowed, the patient may receive:
Fluids by IV
Sodium bicarbonate - a medicine (partial antidote) to help neutralize and remove the chemicals (salicylates) from the body
Tube placed down the nose and into the stomach
If the poisoning occurred through skin exposure, the patient may receive:
Washing (irrigation) of the skin, perhaps every few hours for several days
Surgical removal of burned skin (debridement)
How well a patient does depends on how much poison entered the blood and how quickly treatment was received. Patients can recover if the effect of the poison can be neutralized. Kidney damage can be permanent.
Yip L. Salicylates. In: Tintinalli JE, Kelen GD, Stapczynski JS, Ma OJ, Cline DM, eds. Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide. 6th ed. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill; 2004:chap 170.
Eric Perez, MD, St. Luke's / Roosevelt Hospital Center, NY, NY, and Pegasus Emergency Group (Meadowlands and Hunterdon Medical Centers), NJ. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.