Shampoo is a liquid used to clean the scalp and hair. This article describes the effects of swallowing a liquid shampoo.
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
Shampoo is considered relatively nontoxic (nonpoisonous). If an allergic reaction occurs, seek immediate medical help.
Call poison control for further information.
Determine the following information:
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Take the container with you to the hospital, if possible.
An emergency room visit may not be necessary.
If a visit takes place, the health care provider will measure and monitor the patient's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Blood and urine tests will be done. The patient may receive:
Swallowing shampoo is usually not poisonous. Patients usually make a full recovery.