Rhubarb leaves poisoning occurs when someone eats pieces of leaves from the rhubarb plant.
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
Rheum officinale poisoning
The leaves (leaf blade) of the rhubarb plant; the stalk can be eaten.
Seek immediate medical help. Do NOT make a person throw up unless told to do so by poison control or a health care professional. Flush the skin and eyes with lots of water, if the plant touched these areas.
Determine the following information:
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
The health care provider will measure and monitor your vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate. You may receive:
How well you do depends on the amount of poison swallowed and how quickly treatment is received. The faster you get medical help, the better the chance for recovery.
Serious poisonings can result in kidney failure. Deaths have been reported, but are rare.
Dart RC. Introduction to plants. In: Dart RC, Caravati EM, McGuigan MA, et al., eds. Medical Toxicology. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2004:chap 254.
Smolinske SC, Daubert GP, Spoerke DG. Poisonous plants. In: Shannon MW, Borron SW, Burns MJ, eds. Haddad and Winchester's Clinical Management of Poisoning and Drug Overdose. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Saunders Elsevier; 2007:chap 24.