Poisonous snake bites are medical emergencies and require immediate attention. The bite of a snake can cause severe local tissue damage and often requires follow-up care. The right anti-venom can save a person's life. Even though most snakes are not poisonous, avoid picking up or playing with any snake unless you have been properly trained.
Jacob L. Heller, MD, MHA, Emergency Medicine, Virginia Mason Medical Center, Seattle, Washington. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.