Phenobarbital is a medicine used to treat epilepsy, anxiety, and insomnia. Phenobarbital overdose occurs when someone takes too much of this medicine.
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
Name of product (as well as the ingredients and strength if known)
The time it was swallowed
The amount swallowed
If the medication was prescribed for the patient
However, DO NOT delay calling for help if this information is not immediately available.
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Take the container with you to the hospital, if possible.
The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Blood chemistries and a blood test to measure the phenobarbital level will also be done.
Symptoms will be treated as appropriate. The patient may receive:
Medicine (sodium bicarbonate) that helps eliminate phenobarbital from the body
This list may not be all-inclusive.
The prognosis (probable outcome) depends on the symptoms observed by the health care provider.
Mild -- The patient can be aroused. No further treatment will probably be necessary, but the patient will be monitored in the hospital.
Moderate -- Breathing and other vital signs are normal, but the patient cannot be aroused. Recovery will probably occur within 24 - 48 hours with proper care.
Severe -- Breathing and other vital signs may be abnormal and the patient cannot be aroused. Recovery will probably occur within 3 - 5 days, depending on the amount swallowed.
Goldfrank LR, ed. Goldfrank's Toxicologic Emergencies. 8th ed. New York, NY: McGraw Hill; 2006.
Eric Perez, MD, Department of Emergency Medicine, St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, NY. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.