This article describes the effects of a bite from the funnel-web spider. Male funnel-web spiders are more poisonous than females.
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
Funnel-web spiders are found in southeast Australia, around Sydney. They are not native to the United States, although some people may keep them as exotic pets.
Funnel-web spider bites are extremely painful. They usually cause tingling or numbness in the mouth or lips within 10 - 15 minutes. These bites can be very dangerous and have been known to cause all of the following symptoms:
Funnel-web spider bites are extremely poisonous. Seek immediate medical attention. Call the Poison Control Center for guidance. Apply a bandage and firm pressure over the bite, and keep the affected area still, if possible, to prevent the venom from spreading. "It may help to use a homemade splint to keep affected area still if the bite occurred on your arms, legs, hands or feet.
Loosen clothing and remove rings and other tight jewelry.
Determine the following information:
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. The wound will be treated as appropriate.
The patient may receive:
Funnel-web spider bites can be life threatening, especially in children, and must be treated quickly with antivenin by an experienced doctor. Even with appropriate and timely treatment symptoms may persist for several days to weeks.
Boyer LV, Binford GJ, McNally JT. Spider bites. In: Auerbach PS, ed. Wilderness Medicine. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Mosby Elsevier; 2007:chap 46.
Clark RF, Schneir AB. Arthropod bites and stings. In: Tintinalli JE, Kelen GD, Stapczynski JS, Ma OJ, Cline DM, eds. Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide. 6th ed. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill; 2004:chap 194.