You have just been diagnosed with a condition requiring surgery. In the past your options included traditional surgery with a large open incision, which requires a long recovery and disruption of your daily activities, or laparoscopy, a minimally invasive technique which uses small incisions, resulting in significant less pain, shorter hospital stays and fewer complications.
Robotic-assisted surgery is the next generation of minimally-invasive laparoscopy. Through the use of robots and computer-assisted technology, surgeons are now able to offer minimally invasive and more precise options for many complex surgical procedures including cancer treatment, thoracic, urology, endometriosis, vascular surgery and hip/knee replacements.
Northside leads the way in advanced robotic surgery
Northside Hospital is ranked in the top 10% in the U.S. and the leader in the Southeast for total robotic procedures performed. Many of our surgeons are considered pioneers in minimally invasive laparoscopic surgery and are nationally and internationally recognized for their expertise. As one of the first hospitals in Atlanta to use minimally-invasive robotic technology, Northside has lead the way over the past 10 years adapting the technology to a large range of procedures. Combined with the skill and experience of the operating room nurses and surgical technologists, this level of expertise is critical in the success of utilizing these innovative technologies.
The robotic surgical team at Northside Hospital has worked together for 10 years, which brings a superior level of teamwork and skill to our program.
- We rank in the top 10% of robotic procedures in the United States.
- We are in the top 5% nationally for Robotic GYN procedures treating uterine fibroids and cervical cancer, and are in the top 10% in the nation for Robotic Prostatectomy treating prostate cancer.
- We hosted the state’s first Single-Site™ (single incision) gallbladder removal.
- Northside hosted the first successful delivery of healthy twins following a myomectomy in the United States.
- Northside also played host to the state's first robotic-assisted bladder removal, pyeloplasty (kidney reconstruction) and radical hysterectomy.
- We were the first in Georgia to use the groundbreaking Magellan Robotic System for endovascular procedures.
- We were the first in Georgia to use the Flex® Robotic System for transoral procedures.
Robotic and computer-assisted surgery is available for multiple specialties.
- Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT)
- General Surgery
- Gynecology (GYN) and GYN Oncology
- Thoracic Surgery
- Vascular Surgery
For most patients, robotic surgery offers numerous benefits including:
- Reduced post-surgery pain
- Less blood loss
- Fewer and smaller scars
- Increased precision in disease resection / more accurate joint replacements
- A shorter hospital stay / faster recovery
Single-Incision Robotic Surgery
In traditional laparoscopic and robotic surgery, surgeons make several small incisions for the instruments and camera needed to perform the procedure. In Single-Site™ (single-incision) surgery, surgeons use only a single 2-to-2.5 centimeter incision, often at the bellybutton, to reduce the appearance of scarring. Performing single-incision surgery via robotic-assisted technology allows surgeons to provide patients with procedures equivalent to traditional single incision. The placement of all the instruments through a single incision at the bellybutton still affords the surgeon the advantage of 3D high-definition visualization of the surgical site, and the precision and versatility afforded by robotic instrumentation with minimal pain, a shorter hospital stay and fast recovery for the patient.
Northside was the first in Georgia to perform Single-Site robotic surgery.
For more information about any of our robotic surgery programs
offered at our three Atlanta-area hospitals,
please call (404) 851-8200.