Meet the Director
Choosing a residency program is a major decision. As you look to find your future training program, we encourage you to consider the location in which you will live, the people with who you will be working, and the clinical learning environment in which you will train.
The Northside Hospital Gwinnett (NHG) Internal Medicine Residency Program is housed in one of the largest hospital systems in metro Atlanta. Our program aims to train highly engaged, empathic, curious, socially-minded leaders in a supportive yet academically rigorous environment. Our graduates are well rounded in general internal medicine (GIM), and are thoroughly prepared to practice GIM or progress to further fellowship training to meet their personal career goals. We welcome you to explore our innovative curriculum, meet our supportive faculty and diverse house staff, and to get to know the Metro Atlanta area.
The program at-a-glance:
The Internal Medicine residency program is accredited through the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) and we accept applications through ERAS each year and participate in the NRMP match. Our program has 42 categorical IM residents (14 per year) and 3 preliminary IM residents. We also offer an optional Osteopathic Recognition (OR) Track for those students seeking further study and practice in Osteopathic Manipulative Therapy and Osteopathic Principles and Practice.
Here’s what sets us apart:
- Innovative curricula including mid-year PGY 1 Skills Development Block, PGY 2 Personal and Professional Development Series and individualized career development pathways such as Global Health and Social Medicine, Advocacy, Osteopathic Recognition or Academic Medicine.
- Continuity clinic in a state-of-the-art practice devoted to resident ambulatory education
- Technological tools such as point-of-care ultrasound and a state of the art simulation center newly renovated in 2021 to enhance patient care and procedural skills.
- Diverse patient population -- Gwinnett County has one of the most diverse counties in the nation; foreign born citizens make up 25 percent of its population and most minority populations are over-represented in Gwinnett County compared to Georgia as a whole
- Large patient pool -- Gwinnett County has a population of more than 900,000, making it one of the fastest growing counties nationwide over the past twenty years and the second most populous county in Georgia
- Full range of clinical services, including access to all subspecialties of Internal Medicine, strong cardiovascular program, comprehensive stroke program and a busy emergency services department which handles over 100,000 patient visits per year.
- A hospital system with a commitment to transforming healthcare -- Northside is an award winning health care network, recognized for quality, patient safety and clinical care year after year.
We are training the next generation of internists here at Northside Hospital and look forward to offering the opportunities, education and mentorship to help support you achieve your personal and professional goals!
Nidhip Patel, DO, FACP, FAAP, CHSE