Teen Bariatric Weight Loss Surgery Qualifications
Weight loss surgery is a good option for teens who have been unsuccessful with non-surgical methods of weight loss and who meet the program requirements.
- Age 15-17
- > 35 with a major co-morbidity such as type 2 diabetes, moderate to severe sleep apnea, etc
- > 40 with other co-morbidities such as hypertension, insulin resistance, glucose intolerance, substantially impaired quality of life, elevated cholesterol or sleep apnea
- Reached physical maturity
- Participation in a six month supervised program to include monthly visits with the dietitian, adolescent psychologist and exercise specialist
- Demonstrate commitment to program requirements
- Adolescent must be able to provide informed decision/assent (possesses cognitive, social and emotional development)
- Must have supportive and committed family environment
You can calculate your teen’s BMI here.
How to Get Started
Our teen weight loss programs are only offered at Northside Surgery & Weight Management at Duluth. To start your next steps for teen weight loss, please click the link below. Get Started Now