Teen Bariatric Weight Loss Surgery Qualifications
Weight loss surgery is a good option for teens who have been unsuccessful with non-surgical methods of weight loss and who meet the program requirements.
- Age 15-17
- > 35 with a major co-morbidity such as type 2 diabetes, moderate to severe sleep apnea, etc
- > 40 with other co-morbidities such as hypertension, insulin resistance, glucose intolerance, substantially impaired quality of life, elevated cholesterol or sleep apnea
- Reached physical maturity
- Participation in a six month supervised program to include monthly visits with the dietitian, adolescent psychologist and exercise specialist
- Demonstrate commitment to program requirements
- Adolescent must be able to provide informed decision/assent (possesses cognitive, social and emotional development)
- Must have supportive and committed family environment
You can calculate your teen’s BMI here.
How to Get Started
Our teen weight loss programs are only offered at the Center for Weight Management in Duluth. To start your next steps for teen weight loss, please click the link below. Get Started Now